[Pdns-users] Statement on EDNS, DNSSEC and PowerDNS.

bert hubert bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Fri Mar 19 12:50:42 UTC 2010

Just to clarify, EDNS for DNSSEC is only a requirement for:

1) high performance DNSSEC operation, or
2) DNSSEC operation in case TCP/IP is not available.

In an understandable effort to "make the world safe for DNSSEC", BIND has
been sending DNSSEC-enabled questions *by default* for a long time now
('do=1 queries').

The upshot of this default BIND DNSSEC behaviour is that any BIND user that
cannot do EDNS will pretty soon have to fall back to TCP/IP a lot. And since
TCP/IP is not always available for DNS, a significant percentage of BIND
users may "go dark" if they can't do EDNS once the root is signed with
DNSSEC records.

However, since PowerDNS does not ask DNSSEC questions by default, this
situation does not apply to PowerDNS users.

More specifically, if you run the suggested tests that can help you
determine if you "will have problems with the signed root" the results do
NOT apply to PowerDNS, but only to BIND (and probably Unbound).

Kind regards,

Bert Hubert