[Pdns-users] Spikey response times in powerdns recursor

Simon Bedford sbedford at plus.net
Wed Mar 17 14:43:17 UTC 2010

Stefan Schmidt wrote:
> On 17.03.2010, at 12:37, Simon Bedford wrote:
>
>> This is what is causing the mystery for me, when its good its really good but then response times go crazy at a random time, its dropped our customer experience graphing from 99.987% to 89% (some of this will be the 3.1.7.2 cache maintenance bug though, in fact a larger proportion as we only have 1 of 4 upgraded to 3.2.1).
>

> I think you mean version 3.2, there is no 3.2.1 yet and as that point release were likely to be a security fix i thought i should point that out.
>
> I wonder what you test for on your customer experience graphing, if it's only a set of say 500 of the most commonly used websites it would make a considerable impact on your graph should say all the authoritative nameservers of a medium sized ISP go down for a while or when some links were over load.
> The latter is frequently reported by http://internetpulse.net/ for example.
>
> Neither me nor our customers ever had any reason to complain about pdns_recursor's performance in this field however, in fact our graphs showed it to give way less server failure responses than BIND9 for months and packet loss or network delay situations were handled more gracefully too.
>
>         Stefan

I think the best thing for me to do is upgrade the other 3 out of 4 in
one site that I plan to do on Monday and then re run some of the tests,
hopefully we will see better performance from the 3.2-1 (thats what the
package reports to be version wise) site and then go from there.

I am not convinced that the load balancing hardware we are using are not
adding to the issue as well, just trying to look at from all angles.

On the timelines we have though it was definitely introduced somewhere
near the end of Dec and persisted ever since although intermittently.

Simon