[Pdns-users] PowerDNS Recursor 3.2 Available

Steve Spencer sspencer at kdsi.net
Mon Mar 8 14:27:58 UTC 2010

Just want to make sure this package is actually newer.  I'm getting this
message when I attempt to update the recursor on an CentOS5.x box:

rpm -Uvh pdns-recursor-3.2-1.i386.rpm
Preparing...                ###########################################
[100%]
	package pdns-recursor-3.1.7.2-1.el5.MIND.i386 (which is newer than
pdns-recursor-3.2-1.i386) is already installed

bert hubert wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> Please find below the release notes of the PowerDNS Recursor version 3.2!
>
> Compared to RC1 and RC2 this version mostly contains compilation and
> platform fixes (for Solaris and CentOS4/RHEL4), as well as improved
> statistics, diagnostics and '--help' output, and assorted small useability
> fixes.
>
> RC1 and RC2 are already deployed in a number of large places, and it appears
> to be holding up well.  In addition, a number of future users have performed
> stringent testing and performance measurements, and it appears this version
> works satisfactorily.
>
> It is also observed that this release candidate provides for vastly improved
> performance compared to 3.1.7.*, even bringing us close to the very
> impressive numbers measured by users of the Nominum Vantio and Nominum CNS
> software.  On modern hardware, the PowerDNS Recursor may in fact be faster,
> and certainly better value for money. For more details, please see below.
>
> The PowerDNS Recursor 3.2 releases is a highly recommended upgrade.
>
> We are very interested in hearing your experiences, and if there are any
> issues, please let us know.
>
> Download from:
>
> http://downloads.powerdns.com/releases/pdns-recursor-3.2.tar.bz2
> http://downloads.powerdns.com/releases/deb/pdns-recursor_3.2-1_i386.deb
> http://downloads.powerdns.com/releases/rpm/pdns-recursor-3.2-1.i386.rpm
> http://downloads.powerdns.com/releases/deb/pdns-recursor_3.2-1_amd64.deb
> http://downloads.powerdns.com/releases/rpm/pdns-recursor-3.2-1.x86_64.rpm
> These directories also contain PGP signatures.
>
> Please note that the 'universal' RPMs are, in fact, too new for RHEL4 and
> derived distributions.  It is expected that in the coming week,
> RHEL4-compatible RPMs will be announced.
>
> (Nominum, Nominum CNS & Nominum Vantio are trademarks owned by
> Nominum)
>
> Release notes
> -------------
> Version with clickable links:
> http://doc.powerdns.com/changelog.html#CHANGELOG-RECURSOR-3-2
>
> Warning!
>
>         Lua scripts from version 3.1.7.* are fully compatible with
>         version 3.2. However, scripts written for development snapshot
>         releases, are NOT. Please see Section 12.7 for details!
>
>  The 3.2 release is the first major release of the PowerDNS
>  Recursor in a long time. Partly this is because 3.1.7.*
>  functioned very well, and delivered satisfying performance,
>  partly this is because in order to really move forward, some
>  heavy lifting had to be done.
>
>  As always, we are grateful for the large PowerDNS community
>  that is actively involved in improving the quality of our
>  software, be it by submitting patches, by testing development
>  versions of our software or helping debug interesting issues.
>  We specifically want to thank Stefan Schmidt and Florian
>  Weimer, who both over the years have helped tremendously in
> [...]

Steven G. Spencer, Network Administrator
KSC Corporate - The Kelly Supply Family of Companies
Office 308-382-8764 Ext. 231
Mobile 308-380-7957