[Pdns-users] PDNS Recursor and reverse lookup

Leen Besselink leen at consolejunkie.net
Wed Jun 16 08:58:21 UTC 2010

On 06/16/2010 10:34 AM, Uroš Gruber wrote:
> Hi,

Hello Uroš,

> here is result from one of IP
>
> [root at host1 ~]#dig @91.185.194.202 <http://91.185.194.202> 118.167.130.182

I think you might have a mistake there.

The proper command with dig would be, -x is for reverse address lookup:

dig @91.185.194.202 <http://91.185.194.202> -x 118.167.130.182

> ; <<>> DiG 9.4.3-P2 <<>> @91.185.194.202 <http://91.185.194.202>
> 118.167.130.182
> ; (1 server found)
> ;; global options:  printcmd
> ;; Got answer:
> ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NXDOMAIN, id: 7121
> ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0
>
> ;; QUESTION SECTION:
> ;118.167.130.182. IN A

As you can see above it does an A-record query, not a PTR-record
(reverse address) query.

> ;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
> . 10774 IN SOA a.root-servers.net <http://a.root-servers.net>.
> nstld.verisign-grs.com <http://nstld.verisign-grs.com>. 2010061600
> 1800 900 604800 86400
>
> ;; Query time: 0 msec
> ;; SERVER: 91.185.194.202#53(91.185.194.202)
> ;; WHEN: Wed Jun 16 10:31:49 2010
> ;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 108
>
> [root at host1 ~]#dig @91.185.194.206 <http://91.185.194.206> 118.167.130.182
>
> ; <<>> DiG 9.4.3-P2 <<>> @91.185.194.206 <http://91.185.194.206>
> 118.167.130.182
> ; (1 server found)
> ;; global options:  printcmd
> [root at host1 ~]#host  118.167.130.182 91.185.194.202
> Using domain server:
> Name: 91.185.194.202
> Address: 91.185.194.202#53
> Aliases:
>
> 182.130.167.118.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer
> 118-167-130-182.dynamic.hinet.net
> <http://118-167-130-182.dynamic.hinet.net>.
> [root at host1 ~]#host  118.167.130.182 91.185.194.206

I'm really surprised this does not work. I've never seen that happen.

Normally PowerDNS works just fine with that.

Do you made any 'forward-zones' settings ?

I would look at these settings first:

allow-from

     Comma separated netmasks (both IPv4 and IPv6) that are allowed to
use the server. The default allows access only from RFC 1918 private IP
addresses, like 10.0.0.0/8. Due to the agressive nature of the internet
these days, it is highly recommended to not open up the recursor for the
entire internet. Questions from IP addresses not listed here are ignored
and do not get an answer.
allow-from-file

     Like allow-from, except reading from file. Overrides the
'allow-from' setting. To use this feature, supply one netmask per line,
with optional comments preceeded by a #. Available since 3.1.5.

As it seems you didn't get any answer at all.

Maybe you could send us the output of the following command:

grep -v '^#' recursor.conf | grep -v '^$'

that way we can see what settings you've used.

> One thing I didn't quite understand is that bind have root.hint file
> but powerdns does not. Could this be a problem?

Their is a default root.hint built-in, you can specify 'your own' with
the 'hint-file' option.

> regards

Hope this helps,
Leen.