[Pdns-users] Install problem on Ubuntu 10.0.4

Imre Gergely gimre at narancs.net
Thu Jun 10 07:34:33 UTC 2010

Hi

I just tried the same thing, and indeed, it doesn't start. Looking at
the logs (/var/log/syslog), I see this:

Jun 10 10:31:09 ximi pdns[13382]: Unable to launch, no backends
configured for querying
Jun 10 10:31:10 ximi pdns[13380]: Child requested a stop, exiting

which I guess is normal, because probably the backend isn't configured
automatically when installing the package, you still have to install a
database in mysql, and set the parameters in pdns for accessing that
database, etc.

Lake a look at

/usr/share/doc/pdns-backend-mysql/README.Debian

and

/usr/share/doc/pdns-backend-mysql/examples/pdns.local.gmysql

for how to do that.

On 06/09/2010 08:28 AM, Peter Yuill wrote:
> I am a complete newbie to PowerDNS. I attempted to install pdns-server
> and pdns-backend-mysql on a new minimal Ubuntu 10.0.4 x64 server. I used
> apt-get and the Universe repository. It installed version 2.9.22-3
> cleanly. When I started the service I noticed nothing was listening on
> port 53 (udp or tcp). I followed the manual section 2.2 on testing the
> install, specifically launching the bind examples.
>> host www.example.com 127.0.0.1 eventually returned:
> , so I assume there really is nothing listening on port 53. I also
> enabled logging at level 9, but no log file is created. Any ideas on
> where I went wrong?
>
> Thanks,
> Peter

Imre Gergely
Yahoo!: gergelyimre | ICQ#: 101510959
MSN: gergely_imre | GoogleTalk: gergelyimre
gpg --keyserver subkeys.pgp.net --recv-keys 0x34525305