[Pdns-users] multithreaded epoll_wait in PDNS

bert hubert bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Sun Jun 6 17:17:18 UTC 2010

On Sun, Jun 06, 2010 at 06:40:18PM +0200, Christof Meerwald wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Jun 2010 16:12:45 -0500, Naked Short-Selling wrote:
> > I read your post regarding multithreaded epoll_wait behavior on lkml a
> > couple of months ago:
> > "
> > http://lkml.org/lkml/2010/3/3/441
> > "
>
> My understanding is that using EPOLLET would be the right approach - and
> particularly for UDP sockets it should be quite easy to implement it that
> way (it might be a bit more tricky to get the locking right for TCP
> sockets).

Christof, "Naked",

This issue has been studied and turns out not to be much of a problem under
operational load - the number of spurious wakeups is actually minimal.

We are probably saved by the fact that under high load, a new packet is
probably available anyhow in most cases - perhaps not the one we were
originally awoken for.

One day, we'll address the epoll_wait optimization, but there are more
pressing things on the horizon.

Like DNSSEC.

Thanks for your attention though!

	Bert