[Pdns-users] PTRs and SQL queries,, autoserial?

Leen Besselink leen at consolejunkie.net
Fri Jul 30 08:00:54 UTC 2010

On 07/29/2010 11:47 PM, Jared Watkins wrote:
> I’m new to pdns.. and I’ve read the docs and seen how PTR records are
> supposed to be setup but I can’t get reverse lookups to work.. nor can
> I see from the default sql queries how they would ever be found. So I
> assume I’m missing something. =]
>
> I’m also not clear on weather the generic mysql backend supports auto
> serials (conflicting info in the docs) or how that is to be implemented.
>
> When I attempt a reverse lookup for an internernal test IP I see the
> following queries get run against the mysql server..
>
> select content,ttl,prio,type,domain_id,name from records where
> name='192.168.103.32'
> select content,ttl,prio,type,domain_id,name from records where
> name='*.168.103.32'
> select content,ttl,prio,type,domain_id,name from records where
> name='*.103.32'
> select content,ttl,prio,type,domain_id,name from records where name='*.32'
>
> I fail to see how this will ever match the format of the PTR recs I’ve
> seen suggested as name,type,content:
>
> 32.103.168.92.in-addr.arpa PTR testserver.test.net
>
> I do have a reverse domain defined in the domains table.. but I don’t
> see that it ever gets queried.

Hi,

euh..., Jared, maybe I'm wrong, but do you know how to do a reverse lookup ?

This is normally what you would do:

dig @serverip -x 192.168.103.32

(I think Mac OS X, which you seem to be using judging by your
e-mail-client, has the 'dig' command)

it will send a PTR-query for: 32.103.168.92.in-addr.arpa

which should result in a database-query for:

select content,ttl,prio,type,domain_id,name from records where
name='32.103.168.92.in-addr.arpa'

Hope that helps.

Have a good day,
Leen.