[Pdns-users] pdns version 2 and 3

Stefan Schmidt zaphodb at zaphods.net
Wed Jan 20 10:44:52 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 06:21:34PM +0800, Liong Kok Foo wrote:
> Hi,

Hey there,

> BTW, I am using pdns version :
> pdns-2.9.21.1-1.el5.rf
>
> Should I change to using version 3 recursor instead? I would prefer
> a stable version with minimum problems. 3 is still in beta, right?

PowerDNS Server and PowerDNS recursor are seperate programs but as they share
some codebase are kept in a single SVN repository.
PowerDNS Server is the authoritative Nameserver that you installed by the
pdns-2.9.21.1-1.el5.rf package and PowerDNS Recursor is a recursive or
'caching-only' Nameserver that will let you resolve non-local DNS data.
For their respective versioning have a look at the release notes section at
http://doc.powerdns.com/ .

	Stefan
--
The war ain't over til I say it's over. This is my picture.
- Wag the Dog