[Pdns-users] Attack scope clarification, Ubuntu PowerDNS Recursor Updates + need to restart

bert hubert bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Sat Jan 9 11:22:15 UTC 2010

Dear PowerDNS Users,

Three important updates:

1) To clarify, *ALL* PowerDNS Recursor installations are vulnerable to
attack, even if you only provide service to trusted users! There is an
attack vector through malicious authoritative servers.

2) A reminder, some PowerDNS Packages do not automatically restart the
PowerDNS Recursor when an upgrade is installed. To be on the safe side,
restart your recursor manually.

3) I'm happy to report that, contrary to initial indications, Ubuntu has in
fact updated the PowerDNS Recursor for their recent distributions, and will
be addressing their older versions too once we get round to shipping the
patch to 3.1.4.

Many thanks to Imre Gergely, who mangled the patches for Ubuntu.

	Bert