[Pdns-users] qtype argument to pipe backend is always set to 'ANY' (continued)

bert hubert bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Thu Feb 4 08:29:35 UTC 2010

This question keeps getting asked, I've put a note about this in the
documentation, http://doc.powerdns.com/backends-detail.html#AEN5622

For completeness:

Besides regular query types, the DNS also knows the 'ANY' query type. When
a server receives a question for this ANY type, it should reply with all
record types available.

Backends should therefore implement being able to answer 'ANY' queries in
this way, and supply all record types they have when they receive such an
'ANY' query. This is reflected in the sample script above, which for every
qtype answers if the type matches, or if the query is for 'ANY'.

However, since backends need to implement the ANY query anyhow, PowerDNS
makes use of this. Since almost all DNS queries internally need to be
translated first into a CNAME query and then into the actual query, possibly
followed by a SOA or NS query (this is how DNS works internally), it makes
sense for PowerDNS to speed this up, and just ask the ANY query of a
backend.

When it has done so, it gets the data about SOA, CNAME and NS records in one
go. This speeds things up tremendously.

The upshot of the above is that for any backend, including the PIPE backend,
implementing the ANY query is NOT optional. And in fact, a backend may see
almost exclusively ANY queries. This is not a bug.