[Pdns-users] reverse dns creation

Liong Kok Foo kokfoo.liong at innity.com
Wed Feb 10 03:46:00 UTC 2010

Hi,

Can someone guide me on setting up reverse dns for powerdns? The docs
does not mention about it.

I have a previous bind for reverse dns as below:

in named.conf file:-
zone "96.87.222.111.in-addr.arpa." {
type master;
file "/var/named/96.87.222.111.in-addr.arpa.";
allow-update { 111.222.221.50; };
};

in 96.87.222.111.in-addr.arpa. file:-
$TTL 3D
@               IN      SOA     mydomain.com. hostmaster.mydomain.com. (
                                 0909200901       ; Serial
                                 10800   ; Refresh
                                 1800    ; Retry
                                 3600000 ; Expire
                                 86400)  ; Minimum TTL
                         NS      ns1.mydomain.com.
                         NS      ns2.mydomain.com.

;
;       Servers
;

117     IN      PTR     mail.mydomain.com.sg.

How should I setup this in powerdns?

Is this even correct? Aren't reverse dns supposed to have only 3 subnets
and then last one defined in the PTR record?

Please help.
Thanks.