[Pdns-users] PDNS and external CNAME

Martijn Grendelman martijn at grendelman.net
Thu Dec 16 21:37:55 UTC 2010

On 16-12-2010 18:12, Pascal R. wrote:
> we are currently switching from mydns-ng to powerdns.
>
> now we got an issue with external cname entries.
>
> example:
>
> help.example.com      CNAME    www.help.com
>

> reply from pdns:
>
> ** server can't find help.example.com: NXDOMAIN

What exactly are you asking the server for? What command/tool are you
using to query the server?

I have the following record set up:

  foo.dev-zero.nl   CNAME www.google.com

Now:

dig @ns2.xyz.nl foo.dev-zero.nl

; <<>> DiG 9.7.2-P3 <<>> @ns2.xyz.nl foo.dev-zero.nl
; (1 server found)
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0
;; WARNING: recursion requested but not available

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;foo.dev-zero.nl.               IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
foo.dev-zero.nl.        86400   IN      CNAME   www.google.com.

Please note the warning about recursion not being available.

martijn at goofy:~> host foo.dev-zero.nl
Host foo.dev-zero.nl not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

martijn at goofy:~> host -t a foo.dev-zero.nl
Host foo.dev-zero.nl not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

martijn at goofy:~> host -t any foo.dev-zero.nl
foo.dev-zero.nl is an alias for www.google.com.
www.google.com is an alias for www.l.google.com.
www.l.google.com has address 74.125.77.147
www.l.google.com has address 74.125.77.99
www.l.google.com has address 74.125.77.104

You'd best use 'dig' for testing. BTW, I do not know which nameserver
software my DNS provider runs, but it shouldn't matter.

Best regards,
Martijn.