[Pdns-users] Cache Problems with upgrade to Recursor 3.3

bert hubert bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Thu Dec 2 15:04:37 UTC 2010

On Wed, Dec 01, 2010 at 12:40:40PM -0600, Jeremy Utley wrote:
> load balancer which handles sharing the load between them.  This
> implementation has been in place for about a year with no issues.
> We also use Cacti graphs for collecting performance data, by
> extending SNMP with output from the rec_control command.

Jeremy,

before delving into this further, can you check if your Cacti calculations
are compliant with the following tidbit from
http://doc.powerdns.com/recursor-stats.html :

"It should be noted that answers0-1 + answers1-10 + answers10-100 +
answers100-1000 + packetcache-hits + over-capacity-drops = questions."

In addition, you might want to look at the rrd metrics. In short, if
packetcache-hits are not counted as cache hits, the total cache hitrate will
be wrong.

Thanks.