[Pdns-users] Multiple Backends Precedence?

Jonathan Thorpe jthorpe at Conexim.com.au
Wed Dec 29 22:45:24 UTC 2010

Hi All,

I am setting up a new PowerDNS installation which I intend on running the MySQL backend for, but also am considering writing a custom backend to provide some additional functionality that allows responses to specific A records to be dynamically generated.

What I'd like to achieve is this:
1. Attempt to resolve the requested record from the MySQL backend.
2. If a record doesn’t exist, attempt to resolve it using the custom (piped) backend.

I see that PDNS supports multiple backends, but it's not clear as to whether or not there's some form of precedence that takes place in resolving the records.

So, in essence, I'd like something like this to take place:
SOA <from the MySQL Backend>
A  <custom backend generated IP>
www A <custom backend generated IP>
subdomain1 A  127.0.0.1
subdomain2 A 127.0.0.2
MX mx1.my
MX mx2.my

I'd prefer to use the custom backend as the last resort for these records and use the MySQL backend by default.

Thoughts anyone?

Kind Regards,
Jonathan