[Pdns-users] PowerDNS and DomainKeys Oddities

Jeremy Utley pdns at gammanetworking.com
Wed Dec 29 18:32:40 UTC 2010

Hello everyone!

Today I started adding some DomainKeys entries into our PowerDNS server,
and I encountered some oddities.  I did some research on the net
regarding this issue, and didn't find anything that really helped me.
First off, start with our architecture:

Master Server:  CentOS 5, PowerDNS 2.9.22-1 static RPM downloaded from
the PowerDNS website.  Also running PowerAdmin 2.1.4 from
www.poweradmin.org as a web-based interface.  Using the MySQL backend.

Slaves:  6 of them, also running CentOS 5 and PowerDNS 2.9.22-1, with
replication handled by MySQL instead of AXFR.

The problem:

When I make DomainKeys entries, I'm getting backslashes in my output
from dig, but when looking at either the PowerAdmin interface or
directly at the MySQL data, I'm not seeing them.  See below:

Dig output:
;; ANSWER SECTION:
_domainkey.domain.com. 41411  IN      TXT     "t=y\; o=-\;"

MySQL output:
mysql> select * from records where name='_domainkey.domain.com';
+--------+-----------+-------------------------+------+-------------+-------+------+-------------+
| id     | domain_id | name                    | type | content     |
ttl   | prio | change_date |
| 294898 |      1168 | _domainkey.domain.com | TXT  | "t=y; o=-;" |
43200 |    0 |  1293645521 |
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

I'm at my wits end.  I can't see where PowerAdmin could be adding the
entries, since the data in MySQL appears correct, but PowerDNS is
definately sending out the backslash escape.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Jeremy