[Pdns-users] Why NS records?

Yves Goergen nospam.list at unclassified.de
Wed Aug 25 17:23:00 UTC 2010

In the case where I have the zone example.com with a number of
subdomains, I then have the example.com record in the domains table
(with the MySQL backend) and an A record for each domain and subdomain
in the records table. Also there's one SOA record for the zone and maybe
MX records for each domain and subdomain in the records table.

What records would I now add with NS type? One for every nameserver that
handles the zone domain, or also for each subdomain?

I.e.:

domains: example.com MASTER
records: example.com SOA ...
records: example.com A 1.2.3.4
records: example.com MX 1.2.3.4
records: example.com NS nameserver1
records: example.com NS nameserver2
records: sub1.example.com A 1.2.3.5
records: sub1.example.com MX 1.2.3.5

Would I also add these?

records: sub1.example.com NS nameserver1
records: sub1.example.com NS nameserver2

In my current non-pdns setup at the data centre, I have a CNAME record
for * (all subdomains) and it seems to work for MX resolution of the
subdomains as well. And there's only NS records for @ but none for * or
a specific subdomain.