[Pdns-users] Why NS records?

bert hubert bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Wed Aug 25 16:52:42 UTC 2010

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 06:38:38PM +0200, Yves Goergen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> what is it good for to add NS records to a domain in an authoritative
> nameserver? I mean when somebody has already come here, they already

This is the way the DNS works. DNS is actually quite a bit more complicated
than it appears at first sight.

http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc2181.txt section 6 explains a bit why this
is.

In short, the NS records in the authoritative zone are *real*, as they are
beyond the 'zone cut', and thus carry authority (because of the SOA, Start
of Authority).

The NS records in the parent zone are at best a subset of the NS records in
the child zone.

	Bert