[Pdns-users] MySQL backend and notify

LikeFiction info at likefiction.com
Wed Aug 11 22:11:22 UTC 2010

I'm not an enourmous expert, but I will try to put in some of my basic
knowledge in this list.

About the database: PowerDNS will cache some records, but for the rest
it should pull the record directly from the database when you request
one. You can of course, simply test this yourself.
About the slave-updating: After updating a record in a domain, the first
number of the SOA record of this domain should be increased (always).
PowerDNS stored the last value (before you updated the SOA) in the
domains/notified_serial column. If PowerDNS finds that a SOA record
contains a higher value than this "notified_serial", it knows it has to
send out an update to the slaves.

Also, the slave has a "last_check" column. I think some kind of
mechanism also exists, which makes the slave check for updates in case
it missed one.

With kind regards / Met vriendelijke groet,

Pierre van den Oord

LikeFiction
Kleyn Proffijtlaan 49
2343 DB Oegstgeest
The Netherlands

T +31 (0)85 7850699 (Mo-Fr 10-17, GMT +1)
T +31 (0)6 12469791 (Mobile)
M info at LikeFiction.com
W www.LikeFiction.com
Please include the original message when you reply!