[Pdns-users] tcp listener issue - hopefully fixed

bert hubert bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Mon Aug 9 19:49:43 UTC 2010

Hi everybody,

After an *exhaustive* search, no definitive cause of the TCP/IP issue has
been found, even though we were eventually able to reproduce it (with the
help of Brad).

To make headway in solving this, we've now removed most of the old TCP/IP
connection accounting code, and replaced it by something a lot cleaner.
Details can be seen on http://wiki.powerdns.com/trac/changeset/1685

If anything, this has made PowerDNS a bit smaller ;-)

A PowerDNS Recursor 3.3 pre-release is available on
http://svn.powerdns.com/snapshots/pdns-recursor-3.3-pre.tar.bz2 and this
contains the improvements.

This is not the preferred way to solve bugs, nor can we be sure that the
problem has in fact been solved.

Brad, can you see if you can reproduce the issue using this version? It
usually takes us around 2 hours to even see the problem, but for you it
usually hit within a few minuts I understand.

We hope to hear from you!

If this issue is resolved, 3.3 is around the corner.

Kind regards,

Bert