[Pdns-users] Hidden supermasters

Ton van Rosmalen ton at netbase.nl
Fri Aug 6 05:54:25 UTC 2010

Hi Richard,

Richard McLean schreef:
> Hi all,
>

> From Stefan's answer yesterday on the AXFR question:
>
> On 06/08/2010, at 12:55 AM, Stefan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> "The set of NS records for the domain, as retrieved by the slave from the
>> supermaster, must include the name that goes with the IP address in the
>> supermaster table"
>>

> I have wondered about this. We'd love to implement a hidden supermaster type
> setup, using AXFR, which auto-updates the 4 main name servers, but is *not*
> in the list of name servers for a domain and is not publicly available. Is the
> restriction above able to be worked around or turned off?

No, this is not a restriction. In our setup we've added the ip address
in the supermasters-table like this:
+---------------+--------------------+----------+
| ip            | nameserver         | account  |
| xx.xx.xx.xx | <name of primary server in public NS list>     | internal |

The hidden master on xx.xx.xx.xx will send the update-notification to
all public ns's as listed in the zone.
The public ns's in turn will axfr the new domain from the hidden master
on it's ip.

Regards,

Ton

I'