[Pdns-users] Recursive lookups over IPv6 failing

Brielle Bruns bruns at 2mbit.com
Mon Apr 5 18:32:08 UTC 2010

On 4/5/10 11:16 AM, bert hubert wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 05, 2010 at 11:11:50AM -0600, Brielle Bruns wrote:
>>> The way I read your message was that it always fails via IPv6, but never via
>>> IPv4 - can you elaborate a bit?
>>>
>>> The default 'allow all' for IPv4 recursion may have been a mistake, a
>>> mistake we're not repeating for IPv6.
>> During testing, it was failing 2 out of 3 queries in a row over IPv6.  IE:
>> www.aol.com ->   SERVFAIL
>> www.aol.com ->   SERVFAIL
>> www.aol.com ->   207.200.111.65
>
> It may be that the answer was in the packet cache. PowerDNS does not check
> 'allow-recurse' before consulting the packet cache - since it would not save
> any work.

I tested this on an isolated server where outside queries wouldn't
affect the cache - and it did the same thing.  So, what i'm wondering,
is if its rejecting the first two queries, how is it getting the final
positive response?

Is it for whatever reason still doing the lookup on the backend during
the first two, even if it sends back a failure to the client?

--
Brielle Bruns
http://www.sosdg.org    /     http://www.ahbl.org