[Pdns-users] PDNS and alias domains question

Stefan Schmidt zaphodb at zaphods.net
Wed Nov 25 10:47:36 UTC 2009

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 06:40:06PM +0100, Fagyal Csongor wrote:
> Hi,

Hello Fagzal,

> >The problem of 'alias domains' that you depicted is actually quite a frequent
> >one in #powerdns on IRCnet. I don't know of any freely available plug and play
> >solution to this but the most commonly referred to way is having some kind of
> >alias table with the gmysql backend and using stored procedures that take
> >the aliases into account for each query.
> [...]
>
> Couldn't creating a view also solve this?

Yes of course, it basically is all the same to PowerDNS, as long as the
backend returns the right values, you are free to do anything you like with
it.
Apart from stored procedures and views one could also take the 'alias table'
into account with sub select SQL statements for example.

However you might want to watch the backends performance as DNS timeouts
are generally around 1-2 seconds, so if your backends query latency is more
than a few hundred milliseconds, you might want to speed it up a little
before relying on that service in an production environment.

	Stefan
--
- If only Doctor Cochrane had been a European, the Vulcans would have been far
  less resistant to help us. But no; he had to be from Montana!