[Pdns-users] PDNS and alias domains question

Frank Altpeter frank.altpeter at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 14:33:54 UTC 2009

Hi list,

I'm using pdns since some months now, primary as an automated slave
server (mysql backend and supermaster config).

I also wanted to update my BIND based master server to pdns, but after
checking $searchengine, the wiki and the documentation, I wasn't able
to find any information on how to handle alias domains with it.

The problem is, that I'm planning to manage about 5000 domains with
pdns, where most of them are single domains which can be handled with
mysql backend (and poweradmin as customer frontend) very well.

The problem arises with some of our customers that have lots of alias
domains with same records - e.g.
customer.{com,net,org,de,ch,at,info,biz,etc.} - which is quite easy
within BIND by just using the same zone file for multiple named.conf
entries.

I know I could reuse the config files with the BIND backend, but I
would like to get away from the file based system and so I'm searching
for an alternative way for handling alias domains.

I also checked if I could manage the aliases with the pipe backend
while keeping the primary domain in mysql, but didn't manage that yet.

So,  is there any pointer on how to do alias domain handling in a safe
(and reliable) manner? Or is it a planned feature for the mysql
backend?

--
Le deagh dhùraghd,

        Frank Altpeter