[Pdns-users] Ranges in names (NAPTRs)

bcrawfo2 scott-forum at scottkate.com
Fri May 1 18:50:46 UTC 2009

Using PDNS for enum and a lot of our DIDs are provided to us in
non-wildcardable format.   Example:
+1-654-2030---2089
This causes me to put in entries for 203*, 204*, 205*, 206*, 207*, 208*
I've actually written logic to generate the entries/wildcards that make up
any given range, however if I ever need to update the next-hop for this
range, I take the chance that I miss some.

It would be nice to be able to do
*.[3-8].0.2.4.5.6.1
So I only had to update one (or fewer entries).

Things get a little dicier if my range is 2024-2087, but I could cut it down
from 19 to 3 entries.
Using known/conventional techniques I'd come up with:
+2024
+2025
+2026
+2027
+2028
+2029
+203x
+204x
+205x
+206x
+207x
+2080
+2081
+2082
+2083
+2084
+2085
+2086
+2087
Instead of the more optimal:
+202[4-9]
+20[3-7]*
+208[0-7]

I saw a similar request in the archive back from 2005, but it didn't get
far.   I figured a few years later, we could retest the water.

Thanks for any ideas/input.