[Pdns-users] NAPTR's only records not replying

Dixon, Jarod C (Jarod)** CTR ** Jarod.c.Dixon at alcatel-lucent.com
Thu Mar 5 20:10:43 UTC 2009

Hello all,

I'm running in to an issue playing with NAPTR's in a pdns system with mysql backend.

I just can't get them to reply to digs or hosts, I get a "connection timed out; no servers could be reached"

Any and all A or AAAA record replies correctly after an add, and basically I'm out of ideas what to look at.

Here's what I'm playing with for a NAPTR entry to prove in functionality:

9.0.3.5.7.6.8.1.e164.arpa. IN NAPTR 100 10 "u" "E2U+sip" "!^.*$!sip:+18675309 at test4jarod.com!"

When I look at the mysql records tables via CLI, I see there are some odd characters - but I would assume a dig would just end up showing them in the reply (please correct my assumptions!):

| 76 |        10 | 9.0.3.5.7.6.8.1.e164.arpa          | NAPTR | 100 â uâ E2U+sipâ !^.*$!sip:+18675309 at test4jarod.com

Here's the system in question ( a bit overkill for a small dns need, but it is what it is):

Hardware:

2 intel quad core processors @ 2.13 GHz

16GB RAM

130GB HD set up in RAID1 with second 130GB installed drive

Software:

Debian Linux Release 5.0 "Lenny" 64 bit

mySQL 5.0.51a-21-log (Debian)

PowerDNS 2.9.21.2