[Pdns-users] Possible DNS DOS?

Pascal purrie at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 23:10:33 UTC 2009

> *Jun 22 09:09:41 dns1 pdns[10957]:
> /usr/sbin/pdns_server-instance(_ZN12UeberBackend11addNegCacheERKNS_8QuestionE+0x8e)
> [0x80c32de]*
>
> *Jun 22 09:09:41 dns1 pdns[10957]:
> /usr/sbin/pdns_server-instance(_ZN12UeberBackend3getER17DNSResourceRecord+0x12f)
> [0x80c351f]*
>

> After this entry PDNS is down and stays down.
>
> We have not experienced problems like this (and I managed dns servers with
100k+ of domains so a lot of queries there).

But I am curious does the guardian not restart it automagicly? Or does the
guardian even run at all?

As for me the guardian keeps on respawning until forever or until the
problem is fixed. Not that that happens a lot and is usually because the
database is (intentionally) down.

Apart from this we monitor all systems with nagios. Through an event handler
it can also restart services.

Cheers,
Pascal