[Pdns-users] Multiple IP?

Leen Besselink leen at consolejunkie.net
Sat Jul 11 08:29:10 UTC 2009

SoloUnAltroNick wrote:
> Hi,
>
> on my server i have 2 network interfaces.
>
> With the default option:
>
> local-address=0.0.0.0
>
> Server doesn't respond. And in the documentation, it's written that this
> value so configured make PDNS listening on all interfaces.
>
> If i set it with my 2 IP (so all interfaces) it works.
>
> Any idea?
>
> Thankyou

Hi SoloUnAltroNick,

It actually says for the authoritive nameserver:

"local-address=...

Local IP address to which we bind. You can specify multiple addresses separated by commas or whitespace.

It is highly advised to bind to specific interfaces and not use the default 'bind to any'. This causes
big problems if you have multiple IP addresses. Unix does not provide a way of figuring out what IP
address a packet was sent to when binding to any."

http://docs.powerdns.com/all-settings.html

So my guess is the default IP-address (default gateway) works, but the otherone doesn't if you use 0.0.0.0.

If you are using the recursor, I guess the same thing applies and maybe the documentation should be enhanched.

Hope that answers your question