[Pdns-users] Difficulty changing nameservers on domain registar's site

SashaB topdomainerpro at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 16:05:02 UTC 2009

Ken,

I haven't found the experience we're having with this one domain to be true
with the other domains hosted on these servers. Moreover, we chose server
hosts whose servers are configured for multihoming because we knew we needed
to do it successfully and couldn't, necessarily count on our software to do
it so we use their NS as resolvers.

We've also made quite certain our TCP/network settings are carefully
configured for this purpose; in fact, it was the first thing we did before
even installing the nameserver on the server. We've opened the correct ports
for our purposes in the firewall--we use 53 for pdns and 5300 for
pdns-recursor--so that they don't conflict--which most software will tell
you and we've set up rDNS both on our servers and on our server hosts, which
we can do. This makes resolution faster, more accurate and agile--and
reduces some load on our servers.

Our set up is, indeed, complex but we have multiple checks and balances that
help us make certain we've configured our DNS correctly. Again, from what I
understand, setting up NS is an issue with EU hosts but, if it's to prevent
misconfiguration, I'm all for it since if the configuration can be its best,
not just 'workable', that benefits us.

We just need to see the data that underlies those SOA records and, because
isn't BIND (or the SimpleDNS nameserver we use as a slave on our only
Windows box), we can't find the info.

Thanks for your insight.

Sasha