[Pdns-users] Difficulty changing nameservers on domain registar's site

Kenneth Marshall ktm at rice.edu
Thu Jul 2 13:40:06 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jul 02, 2009 at 09:15:03AM -0400, SashaB wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> This is a long post with a lot of info since I thought you should know as
> much as possible about these NS before (a) having to ask the obvious
> questions and (b) so you can offer suggestions.
>
> Here's the situation. I have set up the NS for our domains (on four servers)
> and nearly all resolving properly to the domains to which they point. (For
> those few that are not, I have figured out and corrected the issue; now
> we're waiting for the changes to propogate.)
>
> However, we I have a specific domain registered via a registrar in the EU
> for one of our mail/webmail servers and, each time I try to change the NS
> (domain 'owners' can modify their own DNS on the registrar's site similar to
> (but far simpler than) GoDaddy's "Total DNS"), I get the following errors:
>
> ns1.maildomain.eu  --->"The given nameservers return different SOA entries."
> ns2.maildomain.eu --->"Connection to server failed."
>
> Before providing your help, you should know the following:
>
> 1) The nameservers are shared by other NS, all of which have domain names
> associated for their specific purposes. (For example: ns1.foodomain.net,
> dns1.thisdomain.com, ns1.maildomain.eu, etc.). I've pointed all "ns1"
> domains to one IP address on each server and "ns2" are pointed to a
> different IP address on each server but share the same IP address on that
> server, etc.
> 2) The NS for this domain are on different servers in the same region and
> located in entirely different datacenters.
> 2) While there is a master record for the ccTLD itself on its resident
> server, I've also set up a separate master record for the NS1 so I can see
> updating serial numbers for just the NS. Because I also set up, as a
> supermaster, the hostname for the servers on which each of their NS has its
> master record, without creating each NS as a slave on the master server for
> that record, they each show on the other server as a slave and their serial
> numbers (and my logs, which I've set up to view by secure webserver) show
> they have been updating regularly.
> 3) Websites and other applications, some with the same NS IP (but different
> domain name), are resolving correctly.
> 3) All NS point to IP addresses, not CNAMEs or redirects. In fact, I tend to
> use IP addresses over hostnames because they resolve better if we make DNS
> changes to hostnames.
> 4) I 'played around' with the NS to learn how pdns works and determine how
> best to set them up, especially for security and convenience. In that
> process, I found it was just easier to point the NS for all of our domains
> to the same IPs on each server and use other IPs for other purposes (like
> pointing a domain's webservers to). So, I changed the IP addresses for the
> NS, deleted and recreated NS records, updated SOA records, etc. That may
> affect the SOA entries.
> 5) The NS have been live for at least 24 hours each.
> [...]

Hi Sasha,

Thank you for the detailed description, but I think that the problem
is described correctly by the error message you received from your
domain registrar:

    your nameservers have different SOA records (paraphrasing)

All nameservers for a domain, by definition should have and serve
identical content. I think that once you fix this inconsistancy it
will all work.

Regards,
Ken