[Pdns-users] Can't access remotely: "connection timed out; no servers could be reached"

JK E-Lists jklists at ifm-services.com
Wed Jan 21 09:15:33 UTC 2009

I appreciate the suggestions. They were helpful.

I did finally figure out what was wrong. I don't understand one of the settings in the configuration file.

In the /etc/powerdns/pdns.conf file I had:

local-address=127.0.0.1

When I changed it to the default value of

local-address=0.0.0.0

It now works.

I didn't know what local-address means, so after downloading the PDF and searching, I finally found something that says:

"It is highly advised to bind to specific interfaces and not use the default ’bind to any’. This causes big problems if you have multiple IP addresses."

So I changed it to:

local-address=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the IP address of the server (with one NIC).

Is this the "correct" setting for local-address? What does it mean? Sorry if this is a dummy question!

Thanks,

JK