[Pdns-users] Can't access remotely: "connection timed out; no servers could be reached"

JK E-Lists jklists at ifm-services.com
Tue Jan 20 20:30:22 UTC 2009

I have a fresh PowerDNS install with some test records in the database.
CentOS 5 (all updates)
MySQL
Latest PowerDNS RPM

I can query successfully when logged into the name server, e.g.

[me at ns1 ~] $ host foo.test.com 127.0.0.1

However, when I try to query the from my workstation, it fails.

[me at work ~] $ host foo.test.com xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

I believe that I have the firewall set up correctly.

/etc/sysconfig/iptables has the following:

-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -m state --state NEW -m tcp -p tcp --dport 53 -j ACCEPT
-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -m state --state NEW -m udp -p udp --dport 53 -j ACCEPT

which I believe will accept incoming connection for DNS.

What else should I check?

thx