[Pdns-users] Non authoritive secondary & recursion

Stefan Schmidt stefan.schmidt at freenet.ag
Tue Feb 10 10:26:25 UTC 2009

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 10:41:58AM +0100, Sean Boran wrote:
> Hi,

Hi Sean,

> I've set up a pdns as a secondary for a list of internal domains. It is non
> authoritive in that its IP address is not listed as a NS in the domain
> records.

Authority means that the nameserver has local content for that query.
Whenever you load a Zone in BIND or PowerDNS you make it authoritative
for that Zone.

> The pdns is configured to forward any requests it does not understand (e.g.
> internet queries) to another DNS server, using "recursor").
>
> The problem is that it does not want to seem to answer requests for the
> records in the secondary domain that is hosts.
>
> nslookup router238-4.vptt.ch
> ;; Got recursion not available from 193.5.227.236, trying next server
>
> Is this because it is not authoritive? Is there any way to force pdns to
> answer?
> I tried allow-recursion-override=on

I think you're missing the IP or network range you are querying your
server from in the allow-recursion= statement.

In addition to that PowerDNS does not seem to have the zone you set it
up for (vptt.ch?) available locally or it would have answered anyways.

Are there any loglines that may point to such a problem?

It would be best if you could post your pdns.conf as there is many many
ways to configure PowerDNS as a slave/secondary nameserver and without
it all we can do is very wild guessing. ;)

One wild guess that might just be it is: Did you set slave=yes in your
pdns.conf to enable PowerDNS to go fetch to zone via AXFR?
( http://doc.powerdns.com/slave.html )

	Stefan
--
VMS is a text-only adventure game. If you win you can use Unix. - W. davidson