[Pdns-users] Domainkeys with Mysql backend servfail

Stefan Schmidt zaphodb at zaphods.net
Thu Dec 10 12:08:45 UTC 2009

Jos van Santen wrote:
> Hi
Hello Jos,

> I changed from Bind 9 to Powerdns 2.9.22 with a MySQL 5.0.77 backend
> but I notice serverfails while trying to retreive the domainkey records.
>
> dig @server txt mailing._domainkey.teilnahme.xxxxxxx
> doesn't return the right answer.
>
> In de server logs I do see the error:
>
> pdns[9888]: Exception: unknown escape sequence
> pdns[9888]: Exception building answer packet (unknown escape sequence)
> sending out servfail
>
> PowerDNS monitor show these DNS queries as "Queries that could not be
> answered due to backend errors"
>
> How can I solve this problem?
A common mistake is not to wrap TXT records in quotation marks within
the database. PowerDNS needs this to tell the difference between a
regular and a multipart TXT record i think.
Also from past conversations on IRCnet #powerdns i vaguely remember that
the underscore must be escaped by a backslash due to the backends safety
features, not absolutely sure about that however, it might just has been
the '.' that needed escaping.
If you find out what exactly needs to be done for Domainkeys please do
an FAQ entry at http://wiki.powerdns.com/trac/wiki/PowerDNSFaq , the
topic is quite a regular one afair.

 Stefan