[Pdns-users] PDNS returning SERVFAIL instead of NOERROR when requesting a CNAME record that doesn't exist

Tom Boland tom at t0mb.net
Tue Dec 8 14:32:09 UTC 2009

Greetings.

I currently have a problem on a production server.  There is
a customer attempting to change nameservers on a .de domain name, and
this is failing as when the automated check for the .de registrar
attempts to look up a CNAME record on one of the nameserver hostnames,
they get a SERVFAIL response because there is no CNAME record to return.
  Bind will return NOERROR.

We're using pdns 2.9.21 with a mysql and mssql backend.  Before going
and filing change requests to upgrade or change the configuration, I'm
wondering if anyone knows why this is happening specifically, and
whether this is fixed in later versions, or can be fixed with a
configuration change.

Many thanks for any advice.  Tom.

nb.  Resending due to having joined the list - my prior message remains
in the moderation queue