[Pdns-users] SOA Serial

Pascal purrie at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 20:18:15 UTC 2008

Hi,

I've always used the feature of PowerDNS where it figures out its own serial
of a zone based on the change_date column.

My SOA record look like this: ns1.example.net hostmaster at example.net 0 10800
3600 604800 3600

This worked fine for 2.9.20 and prior. But since 2.9.21 it replies with a
serial of 0. I've tried several things but I was not able to get it working
again.

Quoting from the documentation:

The fields have complicated and sometimes controversial meanings. The
'serial' field is special. If
left at 0, the default, PDNS will perform an internal list of the domain to
determine highest
change_date field of all records within the zone, and use that as the zone
serial number. This means
that the serial number is always raised when changes are made to the zone,
as long as the
change_date field is being set.

All records in my zone actually have a change_date (by default the unixdate
of add or change of the record).

The domains are all set to type MASTER.

What can this be?

Cheers,