[Pdns-users] Admin GUI for PowerDNS

Kenneth Kalmer kenneth.kalmer at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 15:04:45 UTC 2008

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 1:47 PM, Ralf van der Enden
<tremere at cainites.net> wrote:
> Hi Marco,
>
> You might wanna take a  look at PowerDNS on Rails. It works with both MySQL
> and PostgreSQL. Right now it's missing support for some record types, like
> LOC, SRV, AAAA and SPF, but those will be added in the near future.
> You should be able to find it quite easily using google.

Busted! Ralf contributed a patch which I applied to PowerDNS on Rails
which adds support for AAAA, SRV, SPF, LOC, PTR and possibly some
others. The code is not on GitHub yet, I refuse to push any code
public with failing specs. I wondered who RvdE was...

Anycase, Marco we built, maintain and are using PowerDNS on Rails in a
production environment where we have clients accessing their own
domains, with admins looking out over the entire lot. We also have
limited REST functionality and have some systems creating domains via
the REST API.

The homepage for the project is
http://www.opensourcery.co.za/powerdns-on-rails and from there you'll
find links to the various related things like GitHub, LightHouse,
Ohloh, etc...

The project goes through these sprints of activity, and then dies off
for a week or two while we address other internal issues, and then
caries on again. We've outsourced some tickets to freelance developer
in the area, and I'm waiting for his push to our private repo so I can
review and push out to GitHub again.

The project does lack serious installation instructions, which I'll
address in the very near future. For a curious Rails developer the
installation is up in seconds, but for someone who doesn't know Rails
(or Ruby) it can get tricky, even more so for someone migrating an
existing PowerDNS installation...

Best

--
Kenneth Kalmer