[Pdns-users] PDNS & pdns-recursor on same machine problems

bert hubert bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Mon Nov 24 21:43:03 UTC 2008

On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 03:36:07PM -0600, Baird, Josh wrote:

> I have a set of authoritative servers running PDNS.  One of these servers is
> also running pdns-recursor which is bound to a separate IP address.  The
> recursor is having problems resolving domains that the authoritative
> instance is authoritative for.  Trying to resolve hostnames within these
> domains doesn't bail with a NXDOMAIN or a FAIL, but it just does not return
> an IP address:

Josh,

Can you run the recursor in '--trace' mode, and show the output when it
tries to resolve a domain for you that is hosted on the same machine?

Instead of 'host', could you use 'dig', as in 'dig blah.com
@ip-address-of-recursor'?

Dig is a little bit more verbose in its output.

> Is there a way to make the recursor resolve these domains without manually
> forwarding each of them back to the IP address that the authoritative server
> is listening on?  Shouldn't it use recursion for these queries?

Yes, it should just work, without special configuration.

Please let us know!

	Bert