[Pdns-users] Monitoring MRTG on FreeBSD

endore12 endore12 at yahoo.fr
Fri Nov 14 14:40:17 UTC 2008

Hi Kai

Thanks a lot for you help.

Endore.

________________________________
De : K Storbeck <kai at xs4all.net>
À : endore12 <endore12 at yahoo.fr>
Cc : pdns-users at mailman.powerdns.com
Envoyé le : Lundi, 10 Novembre 2008, 15h59mn 48s
Objet : Re: Re : [Pdns-users] Monitoring MRTG on FreeBSD

On 10 Nov , 2008, at 2:29 PM, endore12 wrote:

> Hi Kai
>
> In Chapter 6.2 of the documentation it says PDNS that can produce an output format via MRTG comamnde /etc/init.d/pdns mrtg.
>
> My question concerns the access to this command on FreeBSD because it does not (/usr/local/etc/rc.d/pdns).
>
> So is it possible to use MRTG and PDNS under FreeBSD.
>
> Thank you in advance.
>
> Endore.

Hi Endore,

The official answer will probably be: "No, PowerDNS doesn't supply a script for FreeBSD that automatically invokes mrtg on the statistics.". But I'm not in a position state such things officially.

Let me try to help you though.

First of all, the (debian) rcscript supplied by pdns is not installed on FreeBSD, since its not linux.

You can have a look at that script yourself by downloading the sources of PowerDNS. A quick glance shows me that you can edit your mrtg config, and replace the occurances of
    /etc/init.d/pdns mrtg
with this command:
    /usr/bin/pdns_control show

You can test this by executing this command:

    # pdns_control show udp-queries udp-answers

It should output 2 numbers, each on 1 line.

With this information you should be able to make that MRTG configurationw work on FreeBSD.

NB: The documentation on pdns_control is not up-to-date on this "show" command. But it just takes 1 or more arguments of the counters to spit out.

Good luck,
Kai