[Pdns-users] Memory usage.

Justin W powerdns at datademons.com
Thu May 8 17:04:03 UTC 2008

Hi,

I have a VPS server that I'm trying to run PowerDNS on, but it appears
to be ever-expanding in its memory consumption, and I'm wondering if
there's much I can do to curb that.

I am not running the recursor, only the pdns_server with allow-recursion
unset in the config file.  My cache settings in my pdns.conf file are:

cache-ttl=10
negquery-cache-ttl=10
query-cache-ttl=10

I have about 450 domains I'm authoritative for (or backup DNS for).

PowerDNS starts up with about a VSZ of 68M, and a RSS of 6M, and
eventually expands to a VSZ of 160M and an RSS of 7M eventually
consuming all of the VPSes memory and making everything complain about
being out of memory.

I'm using Pgsql as the backend off of a remote pgsql server, and I'm
running PowerDNS version 2.9.20.

Justin