[Pdns-users] External CNAME w/ auth and recursor

Sebastien Luttringer sebastien.luttringer at smartjog.com
Wed Mar 5 14:14:02 UTC 2008

Sascha Holzleiter wrote:
> Sebastien Luttringer schrieb:
>> And the db table seems to be right.
>>
>> mysql> select name,type,content from records where type='cname';
>> +---------------------+-------+----------------------+
>> | name                | type  | content              |
>> +---------------------+-------+----------------------+
>> | ns.tdf-pmm.wan      | CNAME | ns-1.tdf-pmm.wan     |
>> | ns.tdf-pmm.wan      | CNAME | ns-2.tdf-pmm.wan     |
>> | test.tdf-pmm.wan    | CNAME | hades.seblu.net      |
>> +---------------------+-------+----------------------+
>> 3 rows in set (0.00 sec)
>>
>> This is really strange ! This can be a bug ? I should submit a
>> bugrequest ?
>>
> Hi,
>
> never use a CNAME that points to a CNAME. This is utterly wrong and
> will result
> in strange behaviour as you can see.
>

> Greetings,
>  Sascha

It's difficult  with cname to external domain to change external domain
address ! But after some test with bind 8 and 9, in reanable cases,
external cname to cname are resolved.

But, in fact, this is not my problem because, cname to an external A
record fail !

# host -t cname test.tdf-pmm.net 127.0.0.1
Using domain server:
Name: 127.0.0.1
Address: 127.0.0.1#53
Aliases:

Host test.tdf-pmm.net not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

# host -t cname test.tdf-pmm.wan 127.0.0.1
Using domain server:
Name: 127.0.0.1
Address: 127.0.0.1#53
Aliases:

test.tdf-pmm.wan is an alias for ns.seblu.net.

# host  test.tdf-pmm.wan 127.0.0.1
Using domain server:
Name: 127.0.0.1
Address: 127.0.0.1#53
Aliases:

Host test.tdf-pmm.wan not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

test-1:/var/www/tupa# host ns.seblu.net 127.0.0.1
Using domain server:
Name: 127.0.0.1
Address: 127.0.0.1#53
Aliases:

ns.seblu.net has address 88.191.33.22

This is very strange that everybody else don't have the same problem.

Sebastien "Seblu" Luttringer      sebastien.luttringer at smartjog.com
Smartjog SA                       http://www.smartjog.com/