[Pdns-users] Call for recursive testing data - please help!

bert hubert bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Sun Mar 16 15:12:49 UTC 2008

Dear PowerDNS users,

PowerDNS Recursor 3.1.5 is around the corner, shaping up to be a rather
important upgrade, and we need your help!

3.1.5 is in large scale production use in some places already, which has
helped shake out a number of bugs.

Our internal test procedures consist of verifying PowerDNS Recursor answers
against previously recorded traffic, and for this purpose we have lots of
test data, but this data is getting old, and we need new data.

You can help us tremendously by recording DNS data to your resolvers, and
sending it to us in anonymised form. We even provide tools to anonymise
traffic.

To record traffic, run on your recursor:
# tcpdump -p -C 200 -s 1500 -w for-powerdns port 53

Then anonimise using 'dnswasher':

# for a in for-powerdns* ; do dnswasher $a washed-$a; done

The resulting washed-* files do not contain IP addresses of your customers
anymore, which can be verified with tcpdump. A binary Linux copy of
dnswasher can be found on http://svn.powerdns.com/dnswasher.bz2 - it can
also be compiled from the PowerDNS sources.

We are looking for gigabytes of data, the command above will generate 200MB
files. The more data you can send, the better it is for us.

Please contact me on how to transfer these files to me. We will treat your
anonymised data as confidential, of course.

Kind regards,

Bert Hubert
PowerDNS