[Pdns-users] Basic PowerDNS Wildcard Question

Tom Rossi tom at themolehill.com
Thu Jun 26 02:05:55 UTC 2008

I'm getting PowerDNS up and running and so far really like it.  I'm
having a problem though with creating a record to resolve the domain
by itself.  For example, I would like a CNAME or A record for the
domain by itself so that "example.com" resolves to an IP address.
This shouldn't be a problem, but when I introduce a wildcard, I can't
get it to work.  I'm thinking I am missing something basic?  Please
take a look:

I can't get any of these scenarios to work:

SCENARIO 1:

*.example.com CNAME host.anotherdomain.com

This will resolve "anything.example.com" but will NOT resolve "example.com"

SCENARIO 2:

*.example.com CNAME host.anotherdomain.com
example.com CNAME host.anotherdomain.com

This will resolve "anything.example.com" but will NOT resolve "example.com"

SCENARIO 3:

example.com CNAME host.anotherdomain.com
This will NOT resolve "anything.example.com" but will resolve "example.com"

I appreciate any help!

Thanks,
Tom