[Pdns-users] ZoneTransfers

Nicholas Williams williamsn at bondware.com
Tue Jul 29 21:50:12 UTC 2008

Jeff,

I wondered about this at first, too. Then I discovered dig always
displays an SOA record at the top and at the bottom when you perform a
zone transfer. You can demonstrate this by querying against a
non-PowerDNS (BIND) server:

$ dig @dns1.nicholaswilliams.net nicholaswilliams.net AXFR

You'll see you also get SOA records at top and bottom. This is
completely normal behavior. :)

Nick

Jeffrey Hathaway wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I got a issue.  I got PowerDNs and am doing Zonetransfers to another
> server (my ISP).  However, when doing a zonetransfer, two SOA records
> are being Sent. A SOA record at the top and at the bottom.   to view
> this example,  do this in a terminal
>
> dig axfr @24.213.94.98 <http://24.213.94.98> 62.102.24.in-addr.arpa
>

> I cannot explain why 2 SOA Records are being presented with a zone
> dump.  Any idea;s?
>
> Jul 29 14:05:12 PowerDNS 2.9.21 (C) 2001-2006 PowerDNS.COM BV (Jul 10
> 2008, 06:20:43, gcc 4.1.2 20071124 (Red Hat 4.1.2-42)) starting up
>
> - Jeff

*/Nicholas Williams/*
Associate Web Developer,
Bondware, Inc.

W: (615) 333-7775
C: (931) 808-5725
H: (615) 278-9415

"An idea, I have. Share it with you, I will. Change the world, we will
together."