[Pdns-users] Problems with ANY query

Martijn Grendelman martijn at pocos.nl
Wed Jul 16 17:21:23 UTC 2008

Hi,

I have a problem with some PowerDNS servers, running 2.9.20 with gmysql
backend, in particular with ANY queries. I get good results for some
domains but not for others, and I have no idea why.

For example,

$ dig @ns6.ilse.nl chat.nl any

works just fine, while

$ dig @ns6.ilse.nl ilsemedia.nl any

always returns:

;; Warning: Message parser reports malformed message packet.
;; Truncated, retrying in TCP mode.

and sometimes after that:

;; communications error to 62.69.177.12#53: end of file

but mostly just no answer.

However, if I try:

$ dig @ns6.ilse.nl ilsemedia.nl soa
$ dig @ns6.ilse.nl ilsemedia.nl txt
$ dig @ns6.ilse.nl ilsemedia.nl a

that all works like a charm.

If I try the ANY query with 'dig +norecurse', it works!

And then, there's something else I don't understand, which is probably
related.

I just added a domain to the database, so the server is authoritative
for it. The domain has not yet moved, so the 'real world' nameserver is
in fact 'dns2.nettica.com'.

Now if I query the server for it (from somewhere on the net, from an IP
that is NOT allowed to use recursion on this server):

$ dig @ns6.ilse.nl spullenbank.net any

I get the results from dns2.nettica.com! If I do:

$ dig +norecurse @ns6.ilse.nl spullenbank.net any

I get the results from ns6.ilse.nl

If I ask for only the SOA record, even WITH 'rd' flag set, I get the
record from ns6.ilse.nl as expected.

This server has 'lazy-recursion=yes' set.

I hope the problem is clear. It appears that PowerDNS is recursing on
ANY queries (and not on other type queries), even though the client is
not allowed to recurse AND the domain in question CAN be answered
locally (and only when both of these conditions are met).

Is this is known issue with 2.9.20?

Best regards,

Martijn Grendelman