[Pdns-users] [Fwd: Re: PowerDNS admin frontend]

Rudolph Bott rb at megabit.net
Tue Jan 22 11:27:18 UTC 2008

hey list,

pdnsFrontend wrote:
> i think poweradmin is the most promising one!
> it has proven itself in the past so it can be further developed from here.
> infact there are already people aho have started with it for e.g. Rejo
> Zenger.
> i have visited that link of yours at
> http://linuxnetworks.de/doc/index.php/PowerDNS_Admin_Web_Frontend

I think this wiki page was only meant to be a 'reference' for poeple already working on a PowerDNS frontend or for those willing to start coding on a new one. It was used to collect all the wishes of the pdns community - integrating them is up to the coders ;) Some of the requested features even
partially exclude each other (e.g. "AJAX" and "Must allow working with lynx/w3m on text consoles). Besides that it's a quite good and complete (at least for every-day-use) feature list. I'm sure I can still add some but I didn't manage to find the time to do so up to now - additionally many poeple
have many different requirements (e.g. auto-creation of PTR records or a 'SPF record generator' etc.). Since I mainly develop ZoneAdmin for use in the company I work for (a small to mid-sized ISP)  I focused on features which satisfy our own needs. During the last year ZoneAdmin has proven itself to
be quite reliable in every-day-production-use and now I'm on my way to add features requested by the community to it ;)
E.g. right now I'm working on some sort of plugin framework which allows (or actually will allow) users to add custom features to ZoneAdmin by themselves (you need some PHP skills, maybe little knowledge about Smarty templates and you should take a look at the sample plugin which will be included in
the next release). This way it will be a lot easier to realise features like the above mentioned auto-creation of PTR records or other things.

> but could u kindly say where can i see what the progress is till now.
> is there someone busy with it ?
> i know it sounds stupid but i dont see any info anywhere anymore.
> it seems that all the enthusiasm is again lost somewhere which began with
> milkteeth's post.
>

> Joseph Dobransky wrote:
>> PDNS-Admin
>>
>> http://www.iguanadons.net/index.php?a=page&p=4
>>
>> Has some bugs, but it at least it knows how to work well, and play well
>> with others....
>> --
>>
>> ************************************
>> *        Joseph Dobransky
>> *     Webhosting Administrator
>> *         1.727.953.6706
>> *         1.888.478.0555
>> * http://www.nightowlswebspace.com
>> ************************************
>> *   AIM: CrankyCronos
>> *   Yahoo: skeeter1jd
>> *   MSN: skeeter1jd at hotmail.com
>> *   ICQ: 21228143
>> ************************************
>>

>> Hi all
>>
>> Thanks to everyone who already contributed their requirements and wishes
>> for a pdns administration tool. If you still think, there's something
>> missing, please feel free to add it to the page:
>>
>> http://linuxnetworks.de/doc/index.php/PowerDNS_Admin_Web_Frontend
>>
>> Now I would like to know if there's any existing project which already
>> implements many of the requrements listed there. It would be especially
>> important that the basis is solid because features can be always added. I
>> found the following projects out there:
>>
>> - PDNS Admin (http://freshmeat.net/projects/pdns-admin/)
>> - PowerAdmin (http://www.poweradmin.org/)
>> - PowerDNS Administration (http://sourceforge.net/projects/powerdnsadmin/)
>> - TUPA (http://www.tupa-dns.org/)
>> - WebDNS (http://freshmeat.net/projects/webdns/)
>> - ZoneAdmin (http://freshmeat.net/projects/zoneadmin/)
>>
>> Do you think one of these (or a missing one) is promising enough?
>>

>> Norbert

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / with kind regards

Rudolph Bott
--
Megabit Informationstechnik GmbH
Karstr.25  41068 Moenchengladbach  Tel:02161/30898-0  Fax:-18