[Pdns-users] automatic PTR records with the gmysql backend

Udo Rader udo.rader at bestsolution.at
Wed Jan 9 11:57:30 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-01-09 at 22:40 +1100, Duane wrote:
> Udo Rader wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I just deployed a pdns installation using the gmysql backend. So far I
> > have only made installations using the LDAP backend and from there I am
> > used to the automatic-PTR generation.
> >
> > Is there something similar for the (g)mysql backend?
>
> What was generating the PTR's and injecting them into LDAP?

this is done by the LDAP backend itself:

http://www.linuxnetworks.de/doc/index.php/PowerDNS_LDAP_Backend/Example#Basic_objects

it actually does not insert any objects into the LDAP tree but rather
queries the LDAP server in a "reasonable" way if you set
"ldap-method=strict"

In my naive world querying for an IP address is not much different from
querying a name, so I hope that that might be possible with other
backends as well :-)

--
Udo Rader

bestsolution.at EDV Systemhaus GmbH