Fwd: [Pdns-users] problems with superslave pdns

Augie Schwer augie.schwer at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 15:45:47 UTC 2008

Please reply to the list.  --Augie

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Anton - Valqk <lists at lozenetz.org>
Date: Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 2:36 AM
Subject: Re: [Pdns-users] problems with superslave pdns
To: Augie Schwer <augie.schwer at gmail.com>

Hello again group,
 I've solved the problem.
 The master is running latest powerdns 2.9.21.
 The reason it won't send notify to the slave is that
 I have my own php class that manages the database,
 I didn't know the purpose ot 'Notified serial' field in the domains table,
 I supposed that it should be identical as the serial in SOA record,
 so I updated it everytime I updated the soa.
 it appeard that notified serial is _the last serial sent to the slaves_!
 so if anyone's implementing it's own SOA SERIAL MUST BE UPDATED ONLY.
 NOTIFIED SERIAL is being updated by the powerdns and shows the last
 serial sent to the slaves.
 so when mu values of SOA and notified were both the same.... well...
 slaves never got notified

 thanks to everyone for the help,
 hope we see the new notify protocol that will delete domains from the
 slaves.
 I'm very happy with the powerdns, keep doing good job guys! :)

 cheers,
 valqk.

Augie Schwer wrote:
 > On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 4:52 AM, Anton - Valqk <lists at lozenetz.org> wrote:
 >
 >> The problem seems to be the master,
 >>  it never sends notify to the slave,
 >>  when I do it manually with pdns_control notify domain.com
 >>  the new domain.com gets inserted and works as expected in the slave.
 >>  this means the supermaster won't send the new domain to the slave for
 >>  some reason.
 >>

 > Does it not send any notifies or just none for this domain? Is
 > PowerDNS configured as a master?

 believed to be clean.

--
Augie Schwer - Augie at Schwer.us - http://schwer.us