[Pdns-users] Two R/W DNS servers

Ed McLain EMcLain at teklinks.com
Fri Dec 5 17:40:50 UTC 2008

We actually run this same setup (MySQL circular replication) in production with 2+ servers.  The config is quite easy as long as you get all of the options right ;)

Below are some config tips to get it working.

Server 1:
log-bin=some name
server-id = some number isn't on the other servers
replicate-same-server-id = 0
log-slave-updates
auto_increment_increment=10
replicate-do-db=pdns

Server 2:
log-bin=some name
server-id = some number isn't on the other servers
replicate-same-server-id = 0
log-slave-updates
auto_increment_increment=15
replicate-do-db=pdns

Basically, the auto_increment_increment value should be different on each server in such a way that when an auto_increment value is used by the server that no 2 servers should ever set the same id at the same time.  The replicate-same-server-id=0 disables the server from re-replicating any queries that hit it from it's master, basically breaking the chain for circular replication.

Hope that helps.
--
Thanks,
Ed McLain