[Pdns-users] Latency and cache size are correlated

Eugene Pefti eugenep at w3media.net
Wed Apr 30 20:31:09 UTC 2008

I thought I answered your questions, Bert. Anyways, I'll do it again.

Q. Do you get that 'unknown escape sequence' error a lot?
A. Not a lot, but the fair amount of pdns.err file is filled with this
entries. What do they mean? How and why are they formed?

Q. When you do non-recursion queries ('dig +norecurs w3media.net
@your-powerdns-server'), do these always work?
A. Yes, I would say it always works without a delay.

Q. When you do recursion queries ('dig ds9a.nl @your-powerdns-server'), what
kind of answers do you get? Timeout? Servfail? NXDOMAIN?
A. Works, no problem, but I noticed a slight lag while querying it on the
second server. (I run ns1 and ns2)

Q. When you query your backend directly for recursive queries, do you get
answers? ('dig ds9a.nl @your-recuror-ip-address') If so, what kind?
A. Same result, no seeming delays. If I run a query using "time host -t A
domain.tld my-recursor-ip the average response time (real time) does not
exceed 200 ms.

Q. What do you use as your recursing backend? PowerDNS? Bind?
A. It is PowerDNS with recursor installed from
ftp://ftp.monshouwer.eu/pub/linux/pdns-recursor/
Keith (the guy who maintains this site) made a change for rpm package to fix
time-out problems mentioned earlier and introduced in recursor v3.1.6

Q. Which version of PowerDNS do you run? 2.9.21?
A. Yes, it is version 2.9.21 taken from the above-said source.

Q. Do you know your query load? (number of queries/second)
A. I can only judge it from the graphs. It is not that big but sometimes
reaches 30 queries per second. I believe it happened when we had a short
network outage.

Q. Is there anything special about your setup? Custom code, custom pipe
backends, huge number of domains?
A. No special or custom setups, everything is straight-forward, the number
of domains is almost 700.
These are lines from my pdns.conf and recursor.conf files (I present only
settings different from defaults)

Pdns.conf
===============================
allow-axfr-ips=192.197.96.0/26
allow-recursion=127.0.0.1/32, 192.197.96.0/20
config-dir=/etc/powerdns
Local-address=0.0.0.0
local-port=53
Logging-facility=0
Loglevel=4
Webserver=yes
webserver-address=192.197.96.12
webserver-port=8080
module-dir=/usr/lib/

socket-dir=/var/run/pdns-server

setuid=powerdns

setgid=powerdns

launch=gmysql

gmysql-host=127.0.0.1

gmysql-user=root

gmysql-dbname=pdns

gmysql-password=xxxxxxx

recursor=127.0.0.1:5300
================================

Recursor.conf
allow-from=127.0.0.0/8, 192.197.96.0/20
hint-file=/etc/powerdns/my.hint.file
local-port=5300

Q. Do you really truly need to mix auth and resolving service?
A. I thought I am not mixing them if I run the recursor service on port
5300.

Eugene