[Pdns-users] no default cache-limit in pdns recursor?

Rudolph Bott rb at megabit.net
Tue Sep 25 10:58:15 UTC 2007

Hey List,

does the powerDNS recursor limit itself to a reasonable amount of cache entries if you do *not* set the relevant parameter in recursor.conf? We had a setup with a recursor which ate up the memory of the server pretty fast (within a couple of days). As soon as it reached the limit of physical memory,
the machine started to swap heavily and was rendered almost useless (the recurser stoped responding to almost all queries or returned failures). Unfortunatly this happend quite a while ago and I don't have the munin graphs at hand right now. We solved the problem by uncommenting and setting this in
recursor.conf:

#################################
# max-cache-entries     If set, maximum number of entries in the main cache
#
max-cache-entries=500000

We are using the standard packages available on Debian etch (should be version 3.1.4-1)

On top of that, i just noticed that apparently the recursor keeps more than max-cache-entries in memory:
stats: 429816539 questions, 503914 cache entries, 24045 negative entries, 66% cache hits

Mit freundlichen GrÌßen / with kind regards

Rudolph Bott
--
Megabit Informationstechnik GmbH
Karstr.25  41068 Moenchengladbach  Tel:02161/30898-0  Fax:-18